Role: Product Manager
Location: Victoria / Remote
Reports to: Marketing Manager
Delta-X Research is a small and growing company operating in Victoria since 1992. Our business is to help electric utilities and large industrial plants assess the health of their power transformers and related high-voltage electrical equipment, which are assets critical to ensuring the lights stay on and the world keeps moving forward. We develop software, perform related scientific research, and provide technical support to our customers. Our product, Transformer Oil Analyst (TOA), is widely used in North America and abroad, and because of that success and an intensified marketing and sales effort, we anticipate demand for our solutions to expand significantly in the next few years.
About the Job
The Product Manager is responsible for executing the product strategy and roadmap for Transformer Oil Analyst™ (TOA), North America’s leading solution for managing and interpreting insulating liquid test data from high-voltage electrical equipment such as power transformers. You will interpret and communicate the product vision, business strategy and direct input from customers to our organization, so the company delivers high quality products that address the customers’ needs. Your passion and leadership will inspire our team and our customers alike.
- Product Lifecycle Management
- Maintain a thorough understanding of product strategy, customer commitments and general product maintenance requirements.
- Coordinate activities, from conception to end-of-life, throughout the company to ensure the successful launch and life of new and upgraded products.
- Define and quantify product/feature benefits and requirements based on a collaborative and objective assessment of customer needs, market trends and company strategy.
- Work with the development team to clarify and elaborate requirements, and consider trade-offs as constraints are revealed.
- Ensure the delivered products meet the customers’ needs.
- Lead the management of the product backlog in a manner congruent with the company’s strategy.
- Product Marketing
- Define market segmentations, determine product fit, identify product gaps, and collaborate across the company to assemble development priorities.
- Understand the competitive landscape with each target market, and identify key advantages and disadvantages of our product portfolio.
- Monitor the development of standards and market trends.
- Collaborate with Marketing Communications to create and disseminate key product messages via marketing and customer engagement.
- Collaborate with Marketing Communications to develop and execute a coherent product marketing strategy that generates leads and cements the company’s market position.
- Articulate the value proposition and competitive differentiation to channels and users.
- Maintain strong client and industry relationships, manage customer escalations and non-conformities, and be a positive representative of the company.
- Participate in customer and industry facing activities through public speaking and product demonstration opportunities.
- Product Success
- Be a bridge between the external market and the company to align our products and services with customers’ needs and expectations.
- Provide product thought leadership in identifying critical customer business goals, solution requirements and use cases.
- Develop the value proposition and utility ROI model for our products.
- Define customer success metrics and product success metrics to deliver impactful business results.
- Manage the price model.
- Collaborate across the company to ensure customers receive maximum value from their product investment.
- Advocate for the end-user and shape the customer experience within the product and the company.
- Product Strategy
- Contribute to product strategy via collaboration with the leadership team and the CEO.
- Manage the product roadmap and product KPIs, including driving a cadence for regular reviews.
- Build, advocate and track the business case to justify product investments.
- Communicate and align the company with the product strategy.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is naturally curious to explore varying perspectives and to understand the science behind technology.
- Thrives when building a shared vision through collaboration across functional teams.
- Engages customers in a solutions discovery process to define requirements and derive a strong value proposition
- Leads by example, takes calculated risks, and champions the product vision.
- Listens well, and is articulate and easy to understand. Can explain complex ideas in an organized manner.
- Manages multiple projects simultaneously.
- Owns problems and aptly manages ambiguity as it arises.
- Starts each morning wanting to make a difference.
- Four-year bachelor’s degree in a business and/or a technology field.
- 5+ years of progressive product management experience in a dynamic environment.
- Understands basic software development processes, particularly in a SaaS environment.
- Able to travel within Canada and the USA.
Nice to haves:
- Operational knowledge of electric power systems and the electric utility industry.
- Marketing of B2B software solutions.
- Experience with growth and/or SaaS companies is helpful.
Why join Delta-X Research?
Electric utilities and energy-intensive companies provide the foundation on which economies, communities and quality of life are built. At Delta-X Research, our science-based decision support tools and services provide information needed to make timely, confident decisions about their electrical assets.
As part of our team, you’ll do challenging and rewarding work in an organization that empowers employees, and values professionalism and scientific inquiry. You’ll enjoy the benefits of competitive compensation, a collaborative work environment, flexible work arrangements, and genuine work-life balance. And you’ll see your work being used and valued by companies that keep the power on and the world moving forward.
How to Apply
Send your resume and cover letter (in PDF format) outlining your experience and qualifications to email@example.com. Please ensure your cover letter includes specific examples demonstrating your experience in several of this role’s accountabilities.
- Please quote “Product Manager” in the subject line in order to be considered.