Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Delta-X Research is a small and growing company operating in Victoria since 1992. Our business is to help electric utilities and large industrial plants assess the health of their power transformers and related high-voltage electrical equipment, which are assets critical to ensuring the lights stay on. In our Victoria office, we develop software, perform related scientific research, and provide technical support to our customers. Our product, Transformer Oil Analyst (TOA), is widely used in North America and abroad, and because of that success and an intensified marketing and sales effort, we anticipate demand for our solution to expand significantly in the next few years.
We are seeking an experienced controller to maintain our financial records and systems, and to continuously promote our financial well-being. At a minimum, you can perform top-to-bottom accounting functions, prepare for and support Canadian and USA income tax filings, and provide financial reporting throughout the Company as needed. Ideally, you also have the passion to learn our industry and prepare cash flow models as well as research grant applications to play a vital role in expanding our business. With your cheerful attitude combined with your attention-to-detail, you will become the most favourite scorekeeper and advocate-for-excellence in the Company!
- Administer accounting systems and prepare financial and management reports as needed throughout the Company
- Prepare monthly balance sheet, income statement and changes in financial position/budget variance analyses for both the Canadian parent corporation and the US subsidiary
- Prepare financial statements in accordance with accounting standards for private enterprises (ASPE), including multi-currency consolidated statements
- Prepare regular reports regarding financial performance and other metrics
- Assist in the design and preparation of budgets for review by management
- Maintain and reconcile capital asset schedules
- Manage SR&ED claim preparation and filing
- Prepare and submit government grant applications (i.e. for research or new market access funding)
- Prepare working papers and collaborate with our accounting firm for the annual year-end tax filing
- General banking duties including compliance with any financing requirements
- A relevant college diploma or degree from an accredited post-secondary institution with 8+ years industry experience OR a CPA designation with 3+ years of related experience.
- Ability to calculate, post and manage accounting entries and financial records
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail, including ability to:
- Analyze financial receipts and detailed information regarding finances;
- Carefully and accurately enter data into accounting records; and
- Reconcile and balance complex financial statement accounts;
- Affinity for organization, process and procedure
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, manage time and meet deadlines
- A creative mind with a will to improve and solve problems
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Excellent command of spoken and written English. Listens well, and is articulate and easy to understand. Can explain complex accounting principles to lay people.
- Proficient with essential software applications such as QuickBooks Online and Microsoft Office, and adept at learning new software applications such as CRM
- Upholds a strict level of confidentiality
- Starts each morning wanting to make a difference
Candidates with the following additional attributes are desirable:
- Experience working in an engineering or technical environment, with some degree of interest in science and technology
- Assessing internal controls, including risk assessments and reviews of risk areas
- Experience with cash flow projections, financial modelling and quantitative analysis
- Experience obtaining government grants and other non-dilutive funds
- Analyze financial statements and reports and provide financial, business and tax advice
How to Apply:
Send a resume and cover letter (in Word or PDF formats only) outlining your experience related to the above responsibilities and qualifications to email@example.com.
Please quote “Controller” in the subject line in order to be considered.
All applicants are appreciated; unfortunately, we can only contact those selected to be interviewed. Strictly no phone calls.
Thank you for considering Delta-X Research.